Are you looking for ideas of things to talk about with your kids or students? This list is a great way to get conversations going, writing ideas, and more!
- What is your favorite food? (Get more specific by asking favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or snack!)
- What is your favorite day of the week?
- What is your favorite type of book to read?
- What is your favorite subject in school?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is a family?
- Who are the members of your family?
- Do you have any special family traditions?
- What are your top three favorite activities to do with your family?
- What makes your family unique?
- What does it mean to be a good friend?
- Who are your closest friends?
- What kinds of activities do you enjoy doing with your friends?
- How did you meet your best friend?
- How would your friends describe you using five adjectives?
- What do you enjoy about school?
- What do you dislike about school?
- What have you learned lately in school?
- How does your teacher inspire you?
- What is your favorite class?
- What is the title of your favorite book?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What nonfiction topic is most interesting for you to read about?
- What genre do you enjoy reading most?
- What is the most recent book you read?
- Do you have any pets?
- If you could have any kind of pet, what would you want?
- What is your favorite _____? (mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish)
- If you could be any animal, which would you choose?
- Which extinct animal would you enjoy meeting?
Sports & Hobbies
- Do you play any sports?
- Are you involved in any extracurricular activities or clubs?
- What hobbies do you have?
- What do you do in your free time at home?
- If you could try any new thing, what would you choose to do?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- Do you have any special holiday traditions?
- Do you have any plans for _____? (next upcoming holiday)
- What did you do for _____? (last holiday)
- If you could create a holiday for anything, what day would you create and how would you celebrate?
- Have you ever been on vacation?
- What is the farthest you’ve traveled from home?
- Have you ever visited another country?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to go?
- Why do people travel?
Looking for more ideas for elementary students? You might be interested in this free list of 72 writing topics, organized by grade levels. It’s intended for students from kindergarten to fifth grade and will be a great addition to any busy teacher’s writing plan book!