Looking for some topics to write about in your journal appropriate for this time of year? Wanting to inspire your students to write something new and different? Here are some writing prompts with an autumn theme that might come in handy.
- Autumn is a time when we are surrounded by many visual changes in our environment. Leaves are changing colors and falling off the trees, flowers and gardens are returning to the earth, and the wind is blowing cooler air to replace the warmth of summer. What changes do you see yourself going through this autumn? Are there any changes you hope to make this season?
- Halloween is a popular holiday among children and adults alike. It’s a day when we can dress up in costumes and pretend to be someone or something we are not. If you could take on any trait that you do not currently have for one day, what would it be? Explain.
- With Thanksgiving right around the corner in the United States, it’s a great time to reflect upon what we are each thankful for in our lives. Who are the people in your life you are most grateful to know? What are the things you possess that you appreciate most? What is it about yourself that you are happiest about?
- Autumn’s rainfall and chilly temperatures make spending more time inside inevitable. What are your top ten favorite indoor activities to do on a rainy fall day?
- Describe the view from your window using adjectives appealing to your five senses. Be as descriptive as possible.
Have some great autumn-related prompts of your own? Feel free to share them in the comments!